A well-negotiated severance agreement may allow you to transition from your current job to a future opportunity with a severance package that you deserve. Skillful negotiation and leverage of potential claims against your employer are key to achieving a fair severance package. The attorneys at Kosinski and Thiagaraj, Ltd. have many years of experience negotiating severance packages, including evaluating and revising the terms of a separation agreement to best protect you, discussing potential legal claims you may have in order to add value to the negotiated agreement, and directly advocating on your behalf against your former employer so that you can focus on new opportunities on the horizon.
Severance agreements are almost always drafted by the employer and for the employer’s protection. Therefore, there are many aspects of an agreement that should be revised in order to protect the employee. In evaluating any severance agreement, the attorneys at Kosinski and Thiagaraj, Ltd. will look at whether:
- Your former employer is paying you a fair severance amount in exchange for the potential legal claims you are releasing
- The disparagement clause, if any, protects you from harmful remarks going forward
- The scope of all waivers is not too broad and does not unlawfully take away your rights
- The confidentiality provisions, if any, protect you
- Your obligations under the agreement are not too burdensome or unreasonable
The attorneys at Kosinski and Thiagaraj, Ltd. are experienced working with executive-level employees who wish to negotiate a smooth transition to the next step in their career path, as well as with hourly employees who are wrongfully terminated and press for fair compensation in exchange for release of their rights. No matter how big or small, Kosinski and Thiagaraj, Ltd. is here to assist you.